Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Adventures in Cleaning

We have Tom's family over for Thanksgiving every year, and while I love having them and our friends Portia and Butch over, it seems like it takes longer and longer to get the house to the minimum health standards required to have company!  We had to stop the cleaning service when Tom lost his job in September, so the house hasn't really been cleaned since September.  GROSS!  Well, I have cleaned the bathrooms and litter boxes several times since then, but I haven't done a whole vacuum, dust, wash the kitchen floor kind of cleaning.  I love having a clean house, but sincerely despise cleaning (which is why I had the cleaning service so I wouldn't have too)! 

My plan of attack was simple:  clean the house on Monday; shampoo the basement carpet on Tuesday; bake a couple of pies and get a manicure and pedicure on Wednesday. 

I am already behind. 

However, in my defense, it was a nice day, so I did a bit of outdoor work instead.  I cleaned and arranged the furniture on the front porch (I'll do pictures tomorrow).  I cleared off the back deck - there were some chairs that were rusting and filthy from being outside and I put them on the curb for tomorrow's trash pick-up (actually, some people drove by later and picked them up - I think they will regret it once they see how crappy they are, but that's not my problem); took the old cushions off the bigger outdoor chairs that go with the table on the back deck and put them by the curb too.  My intent was to put the bigger table and chairs out on one side of the front porch and the smaller bistro table and chairs; the wicker sofa and chairs on the other side. 

This is when the calamities began:  Tom was mowing the back yard and there was a terrible sound and cursing.  He mowed some of the cable for the new satellite - I had to run inside and make sure we had TV both upstairs and downstairs and we did, however, it appears that the living room has limited channels at this time, but we didn't find that out until later.  While I was cleaning the bigger outdoor chairs, there was another terrible sound and Tom came out to the front and told me that he blew up the lawn mower.   Apparently, he had not put oil in the motor and it burned out.  So, he hopped in the car and went to Lowes to get a new lawn mower. 

I decided to move the table from the back deck to the front porch while he was gone - it went really great.  I rolled it through the living room on an old sheet and out the front door with no problems.  I got it cleaned up and put into place.  I had to move the armoire that is in the entryway by the front door so I could get the table out and when I was pushing it back in place, I broke 2 of the legs off one side.  I was pushing it on tile and it got caught in the grout lines.  It wasn't an antique or anything - it came from Target - but it is a nice piece of furniture and holds a lot of stuff.  So while Tom was putting together the new lawn mower, I was emptying out the armoire so I could move it more easily to try to glue the legs and front facing back on that side.  We have this stuff called "Gorilla Glue" and Tom lifted up the armoire and I put the legs in place and he set it back down and it appears to have worked.  We loaded up the armoire and so far, so good.  *fingers crossed*  Tom said he would get his nail gun out and nail it in a couple of places to make it sturdier.

I had picked up a Stouffer's lasagna at the grocery store earlier, so I stuck it in the oven and did a bit more here and there.  At that point, I felt like I was 800 years old and could hardly move because my back was so sore.  I took an 800 mg Motrin and by the time dinner was over, felt almost human again.  After doing the dinner dishes, we loaded up all the newspapers and took them out to the curb for pickup and I went up to finish cleaning the upstairs and Tom headed downstairs to clean out the big freezer and fridge in the basement.  I think there was meat in the big freezer that we moved with us when we moved into the house back in 1998!  I got the upstairs bedrooms and bathrooms cleaned and changed the litter boxes.  Of course, literally seconds after I filled up Teddy's litter box, he had to jump in and use it - why do cats do that? 

The revised plan:  Tuesday:  go to Lowes and get some new cable and other stuff to see if Tom can fix the cable that he mowed; go grocery shopping for Thanksgiving dinner; clean the main level and basement; shampoo the carpet in the basement.  Wednesday:  bake 2 pies and get a manicure and pedicure.

Let's hope I can stick to the rest of the schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment