Friday, November 5, 2010

HAIR

I saw HAIR Saturday afternoon at The Kennedy Center in Washington, DC, with Cindy and Rosemary.  It was AWESOME!  DC is the first stop on their national tour, so if you find out it is coming to a locale near you - go see it.  You won't regret it.  Check this link for tour dates and locations: 

http://www.broadway.com/shows/hair/buzz/152384/hippies-hit-the-road-as-hair-sets-national-tour-dates/

HAIR debuted Off Broadway at The Puiblic Theater in New York City in October 1967 and made its Broadway debut in April 1968, and although I knew of a lot of the music from the show, I didn't really know what it was about..  I was a little too young to understand about what was going on in the late 1960's and early1970's -- the hippies, the war in Viet Nam  the whole Hait Ashbury scene.

I won't go into the plot here, what plot there is is thin.  The main thing is The Tribe (the cast members) and the amazing songs!  The cast is young, and they have to be because they are constantly in motion - running up and down the aisles, jumping on and off the stage, dancing, singing - I think I lost weight just watching them!  Actually, I probably would have had to have an IV after the second number if I was up on stage trying to do that show!

If you haven't seen the show or heard about it, be forewarned that the all get naked at the end of the first act - it is only for about a minute and then they leave the stage.  They are all in great shape from all that running and dancing they do, and they are young, so no sagging!  Honestly, they were all beautiful!

They invite the audience to come up and dance on the stage at the end .  I didn't get to go, I was in the middle of my row and the people on either side of me weren't going up to the stage (Cindy and Rosemary) so I didn't get to go dance with Berger (and boy, was he a honey)!

No comments:

Post a Comment