Friday, September 17, 2010

Mandy Patinkin in Compulsion

Ask anyone who knows me and they will tell you I am a huge fan of Mandy Patinkin.  I have been to several of his concerts and I have gone to New York City to see him in The Tempest at the Classic Stage Company and to New Haven, CT to see him in Compulsion at The Yale Repertory Theater.

He is now in Berkeley, CA performing in Compulsion at The Berkeley Repertory Theater.  After the run in Berkeley, they will take the play to The Public Theater in New York City, and you can be certain I will find a way to see it there!

The show opened this week to great reviews.  The review in the San Jose Mercury News says: 

It takes only seconds to forget you are watching Patinkin on stage. The actor completely immerses himself into the character of Silver, so the idea of seeing a celebrity on stage is barely considered. Instead you get this highly charged character of a man who receives a copy of "The Diary of Ann Frank" while he and his wife are living in Paris. He is so emotionally overcome with the work, he seeks out Anne's father.

And then it goes on to say:

Patinkin does most of the heavy emotional lifting, although the others have their moments as well. But Patinkin, who has done no less than make Silver part of his DNA, is simply stunning. In a role that requires him to growl, charm and come apart at the seams, Patinkin often walks an emotional tightrope, going to the very edge of mawkish or maudlin at times, but never falling over.


The pictures are from http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Photo_Flash_Berkley_Rep_Opens_COMPULSION_with_Patinkin_20100914

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you're a big fan of mandy. So am I, but I never had the peasure to see him live. Im in Europe, and he never does shows here. Not that I know of, anyway.

    You dont know me, I just wanted to drop a line, from one Mandy fan to another.

    I LOVED Chicago Hope season 1, Mandy at his best. The series at its best. Loved CM, still love it but its a shame he left.....

    Greetz, Susan
    delphineoceanblue2001@yahoo.es

    ReplyDelete